Deadline for application is February 15 for entry into the program in the following Fall Semester.
Because certain core courses must be taken in sequence, admission to all graduate programs in the Film Division is restricted to Fall enrollment.
To apply, you must have achieved a minimum Grade Point Average of 3.0 as an undergraduate. You must have a bachelor's degree or its equivalent from an accredited institution. Your undergraduate degree may be in any discipline.
Proficiency in reading, writing, speaking, and understanding English is essential to your success at Ohio University. Non-native speakers of English must submit official results of one of two standardized tests: the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), as part of the application packet.
Please note that we do NOT require a GRE score.
For all students, the following documents are required:
1. Formal application with fee. You must apply on-line: http://www.ohio.edu/graduate/apply/index.cfm
2. Transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work must be sent directly to Graduate College from your degree granting institution.
1 Ohio University
220 Research & Technology Center
Athens, OH 45701
3. Three letters of recommendation. You should opt to have these submitted online. Once your application is submitted and payment has cleared, the system will contact the persons you have listed and give them instructions for uploading their letters.
4. A sample of your written work consisting of a paper or papers on any subject such as a research paper, article, critical analysis, or screenplay.
5. Personal Statement - 500 words maximum
6. Résumé or CV
MFA applicants must also include:
7. Creative Portfolio - examples of creative work (film, video, screenplay, or work from another medium). If you are submitting a film or video, the complete version with credits is preferred.
How to submit visual materials:
a) Mail a flash drive to: Ohio University Film Division, 31 S. Court St., Room 7, Athens, OH 45701
c) Include URL link on your résumé or CV
How to submit screenplay(s):
a) Combine in a single pdf and upload in one of the Other Supplemental Materials sections of the application.
b) Combine in a single pdf and upload in one of the Written Samples sections of the application.
8. Statement of Goals for graduate study - 500 word maximum.
9. A 2-3 minute screenplay that takes place in exterior locations only and has no dialogue.
For International students only:
English language proficiency test - A minimum TOEFL score of 580 (paper) or 92 (iBT); or an IELTS score of 6.5 across all bands. Official scores must be reported directly from the testing agency to the Graduate College at Ohio University. The Ohio University institution code is 1593. English language proficiency scores older than two years are not accepted.
If you have questions or need more information, feel free to contact Melissa Ervin at: (740)593-1323 or email@example.com